I already posted in the bug report thread, but I figured I'd post here too. For reference, in all of my testing I was playing in OpenGL, with 200% exp and no cheats.
First, about the game:
For such an early alpha, I'm liking what I'm seeing! And hearing, the music in particular is very good! The mapping on the cities in particular is also very good (the church in the first city is really cool)! The stats are all important, I like the journal and map system so far (such as they are), and if this is the direction the project is going in, I can't wait until it's further along!
Now some suggestions. Some of it you're probably already considering but just haven't gotten around to implementing yet, but it never hurts:
- Why the heck can the Fighter be created with no higher than a 3 in Consitution, and the Mage can get up to a 12? That's a little silly.
- You really need to cap Constitution to have a maximum value (possibly with different max values depending on class?) at some point or HP amounts are just going to be ridiculous, which will be especially a problem if you introduce inns or potions that fully heal you, etc. Also it'd be nice to have Con give retroactive HP if you add points later down the line, otherwise the first few levels of any character will be kind of boring since you'll want to dump every point into Con ASAP until you max it.
- Would be nice to be able to have an "inventory" in the journal where you can use items from. Especially since normally I've got my inventory left and right mapped to mouse scroll, and item use mapped to Mouse 3. But since KRPG has spells, I now wanna use the mousewheel for spells!
- Unless I'm just an idiot and missed it, the Status screen of the Journal doesn't list Max HP or Mana/Faith/Rage.
- The first town LOOKS great, but it's HUGE and way too maze-like! Once development gets a little further and the place gets filled out with stores, quest-givers, etc., I can already tell it's going to be one hell of a chore tracking down whoever or whatever you're looking for in that place. I'd say you could cut the place in half and it'd still almost be too big.
- Bosses give way too little exp, unless I just didn't notice at the time and you can't gain more than one level at once. Only gaining 1 level from killing Heresiarch at level 3 with 200% exp doesn't seem right.
- I'm not sure if you changed it or what, but the blue wand is just horrendously powerful. I beat both Heresiarch and Korax with just it on the hardest difficulty in less time than it took me to kill them with all weapons and items in vanilla Hexen, and I didn't use it against any other enemies either. It seems way too good.
- In addition to the blue wand being really powerful, it also gives the mage a considerable head start that the Fighter and Cleric don't have. Since it's a ranged weapon with piercing, it can destroy a lot of out-of-reach destructible objects in the starting town and other areas, meaning the Mage can get a full level long before the Fighter or Cleric since he can get extra exp for destroying objects they can't reach.
- Unless I saw it wrong, it looks like Korax's "injured" sprites have him missing an arm or two, which is a nice touch, but when he attacks his arms magically pop back on and he's still shooting six blasts at you at once.
- Speaking of, did you change Korax's pattern? He was laughably easy.
- The map... I dunno, I like it, but controlling it seems clunky.
Aaaaand that's about all I can think of for now. I may have more to add when I play a bit more, but for now, digging it, hope I could help some, great job, thanks for the hard work, and looking forward to playing more!